Companies involved in cross border transactions tend to overlook the section on withholding tax. The responsibility and accountability of withholding tax deduction rest with the companies making payments to non-residents.
This workshop aims to share the latest implications arising on all payments subject to withholding tax and how to mitigate them besides being tax compliant including the new tax audit framework on withholding tax.
KEY TOPICS COVERED
• Purpose and objectives of withholding tax
• Payments subject to withholding tax
• Penalties for non-compliance
• Public Ruling 1/2014-withhholding tax on special classes of income (S109B withholding tax)
• S109B versus S107A withholding tax
• Public Ruling 1/2010-withholding tax on other gains or profits (S109F withholding tax)
• S109B versus S109F withholding tax
• Practical issues in relation to withholding tax
• Double tax relief – bilateral and unilateral relief
• Determination of Malaysia versus foreign sourced income
• What is Permanent Establishment?
• New tax audit framework on withholding tax
AGREED BY LEMBAGA HASIL DALAM NEGERI MALAYSIA (LHDNM)
The topic discussed in the workshop was agreed upon by LHDNM and the CPD hours are recognised by Ministry of Finance as Continuing Professional Development (CPD)/Continuing Professional Education (CPE) points for the application and renewal of tax agent license.
• Informed with the latest implications of payments subject to withholding tax including the new tax audit framework on withholding tax
• Learn how to alleviate the cost beside being tax compliant
• Explore the permanent establishment
Mr Chow Chee Yen
Chee Yen is a Fellow Member of The Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (FCCA), a Fellow Member of the Chartered Tax Institute of Malaysia (FCTIM) and a Chartered Accountant of the Malaysian Institute of Accountants (CA).He is also a graduate of the Malaysian Institute of Certified Public Accountants (MICPA) Examinations.
He is currently the Executive Director of Advent Tax Consultants Sdn Bhd and in addition, he was also attached with PricewaterhouseCoopers and Arthur Andersen Kuala Lumpur, specialising in corporate taxation. He has more than 22 years of tax experience and was involved in tax engagements concerning cross border transactions, tax due diligence review, restructuring schemes, corporate tax planning, group tax review and inbound investments.
He is a prolific trainer/facilitator for tax workshops and seminars organised by CPA Australia, ACCA, CCH, CTIM, MIA, MAICSA, MICPA and the STAR newspaper and in-house training for both professional firms and corporations. He is also a regular speaker in conferences organised in Hong Kong and Singapore.
Finance directors and managers, Chief financial controllers and financial controllers, accountants, auditors, tax managers and consultants, company secretary and business advisors