Visual analytics, business intelligence and dashboards (VSA) - Workshop 2017
The workshop will be conducted in highly participative format, with practical group discussion break-out sessions and a focus on looking at typical real life information analysis and presentation challenges.
Key topics covered:
- The difference between providing information to support decision making and typical “data dump” reporting
- Why we should use visualisation techniques
- Multiple reporting and analysis case studies exploring the challenges of typical reports and how we can use good practice visualisation techniques to improve clarity, aid decision making and consolidate information to dashboard level
- Mini case studies for participants to try approaches and techniques discussed to solve real life problems
- Moving from visual reports to the challenge of a one page/ one screen dashboard – why and how to do it
- Comprehensive dashboard design exercise where participants work in groups to test application of what they have learnt by designing a comprehensive business dashboard
- Use of Excel and templates as a design tool, with example solution to the Day 1 design case study
- Creating the advanced visual techniques taught on day 1 in Excel
- Case studies involving the application of advanced techniques to problem solving in Excel
- Combining techniques and design to build a working dashboard in Excel
- Wrap up and discussion of typical challenges for implementation; getting involvement from stakeholders, rolling out across the business, keeping information and communication consistent, how to take your analytics journey further?
Simon is a specialist in business and finance function transformation including Excel and enterprise based solutions for business intelligence and reporting. He has over 20 years’ experience in this area including; programme managing ERP, CRM and Business Intelligence (BI) programmes, implementing shared services, process re-engineering and outsourcing solutions. Simon is a UK Chartered Accountant, MBA, a Chartered Engineer and IT Professional with a Masters level Diploma in Corporate Governance. He also has training and qualifications in Data Science and Statistics.
May Wong is a business reporting specialist and certified i3BAR trainer. She has international experience in developing systems and Excel based solutions for planning, reporting and consolidation systems. She applies this experience to deliver engaging and practical insights into the application of i3BAR to reporting transformation for corporations and public participants internationally. May Wong is a UK Chartered Accountant and SAP consultant.
- Distinguish the difference between providing information to support decision making and typical “data dump” reporting
- Understand the reason of using visualisation techniques
- Improve clarity, aid decision making and consolidate information to dashboard level by using visualisation techniques
- Create the advanced visual techniques
- Combine techniques to build a working dashboard in Excel
This workshop is suitable for professionals to gain knowledge of Visual analytics, business intelligence and dashboard. Those who are interested in this topic are welcome to attend.